Wednesday, March 26, 2008

lucky charm

i'm not normally superstitious. i don't bother avoiding cracked sidewalks, black cats, or ladders. but i do have one peculiar belief that has stayed with me for more than half of my life.

my nana gave me a claddagh ring when i was 14. it means a great deal to me, especially since she is so far away, geographically and mentally. looking at my ring always reminds me of her and prompts me to give a little prayer that she receives mercy. despite my worry over her mental state, i feel that the ring is a talisman that keeps her safe.

two weeks ago, i broke the ring. i think i forgot to take it off when i went to the gym. somehow, i cracked the underside of the band clear in two. i was devastated. every day since, i have been dreading a call about her condition.

i know it doesn't make sense to ascribe so much power to such a small token of gold-plating, but i can't deny the connection that the ring symbolizes between us.

when i get a chance, i'm going to take the ring to my jeweler and see if he can mend it. i just wish it were that easy to mend what's wrong with nana.